Re: Reserving a (large) memory block

** Reply to message from Ingo Molnar <mingo _at_ elte.hu> on Thu, 31 Aug 2000
14:09:48 +0200 (CEST)

> in 2.4 there is an explicit interface for this that also guarantees that
> the allocation consists of fully valid RAM (no matter how complex the RAM
> map): alloc_bootmem(). We allocate 300MB+ worth of mem_map[] with this on
> multi-gigabyte boxes.

Could you explain this API in more detail, I'm having a hard time following the
code.  Can this API be called by drivers at any time?  I don't see how this API
is different than a normal kmalloc().

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi _at_ interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com